Friday, March 31, 2017

Taking stock

31st March 2017.
That pretty much brings it up to 12 months of doing this national role. Title has a nice ring to it...Associate National Clinical Director of Diabetes, NHS England. Don't know what that title means to you...but it means a lot to my mum- and that's what it's about, isn't it? Always mummy's boy- so it always gives me huge joy when I see her face light up or indeed my dads obvious pride. I remember what they did for me...the sacrifices made...so that's all good

Beyond that, however, it's also a post funded by public money and the question in my mind with these roles are whether as leaders we justify them or not. I personally would like to. So 12 months is probably a nice point to take stock. To reflect and then weigh up whether to use public money or whether it's something that hasn't worked out and someone more capable (and there are plenty of them out there) needs to do this.

I suspect the question then becomes "hasn't worked out for whom?"  Personally, I have enjoyed it, I like the buzz and the experience of mingling and understanding the ethos of the movers and shakers of the NHS has been fascinating. At the end? They are all humans- with the same foibles as any, prone to errors as any but mostly, with an innate sense to improve care. So, personally, no issues and frankly, bar a few skirmishes here and there? Working within NHS England has been fun and enjoyable. Let's put it this way...no personal calls from Bruce Keogh or Simon Stevens for a "talking-to" and that whilst they being very aware of what I have been up to. Come to think of it, not even a "calm down" from NHS England communications Czar, Mr Enright either. Just knowing smiles.

What about the clinical community? Those who know me well will know others opinions have rarely fussed me when patient care is put to the test.Ask our local economy...for sake of better care of diabetes patients, I have rarely, if ever, shied away from a confrontation - whether they be a Chief Executive, Medical Director, Chief of Medicine,middle manager or a Cardiology colleague. As I always say, when as the spokesperson for those with diabetes within the system, I compromise...the only people who are compromised are the patients with diabetes,not me. That has been the fundamental as to how we created the Super Six model, expanded inpatient diabetes nurses or foot clinics.
Nationally I didn't expect it to be different but a pleasant surprise has been the support received from most quarters. Winning recognition in eyes of others is never a drive....even notoriety gives you that. For me, I am here to do a job- improve diabetes care...if I wanted to win a popularity contest, the X factor comes around every year.
(Don't forget..my comic book heroes are Batman and Wolverine, not Superman or Captain America)
I have recently asked the question "Should I continue" to a few of the most respected diabetes doyens I know- and the emails I have received back have been humbling- and indeed, for someone whose middle name could easily be "Brash"...it indeed has been poignant and worth reflecting on.

So I suspect it brings us to the most important group who matters. Lets distill this down..I get paid 4 hours per week to do this role, 4 hours of YOUR money, to improve diabetes care. Have I justified it so far? My remit was to help Jonathan, the present National Director, inject energy, belief while drive on some areas such as collaboration with multiple stake holders etc.
One may say 12 months isn't enough...in my opinion, it's enough to allow people to have an idea whether the work is on right track or not. And frankly? I would like to know too. There are many other avenues by which I can earn that money- so money isn't an issue...feedback however is. So...please...do let me know...and all constructive criticism very welcome. What's been good? What not? What could have been better?

So taking stock time it is. To all I have worked with so far, thank you. Who knows what exists around the corner....but from my own perspective? I wouldn't change a thing about the last 12 months. Whether I continue or not, the memories are something I will always cherish and will be etched in my life history as one of the most enjoyable 12 months I have had. It is my personal belief that there is a sense of belief in the diabetes community, sparkling with some dynamic patient and HCP
leaders....there appears to be a momentum to improve care- and if that in itself is true (and not a figment of my rich imagination), at least I would have left some contribution to diabetes care.



  

1 comment:

  1. The worlds your oyster Partha
    Be interested to see what come next for you😊

    ReplyDelete